My worm bin is working out very well, but I recently dealt with a common problem among vermicomposters: too much moisture in the bin. My poor worms were swimming! Luckily, I was able to remedy the problem before it became a stinky mess, but I have learned a valuable lesson: when making pumpkin pies, butternut squash, and serving cantaloupe within the same week, don't put all of the pulp in the worm bin at once! What a mess.
Anyway, it was easy to fix, and in my article on dealing with too-wet worm bins, I share some ideas about why worm bins get too wet and how to remedy each case.
On a happier note, once I got the moisture issue straightened out, I was able to harvest a nice batch of vermicompost. It was so much fun to see all of that garbage turned into something my garden will love. Next year's tomato patch has gotten the first dose of vermicompost, and I can't wait to see the results!