1. Home

Free Vegetable Garden Planning Tool

By April 19, 2009

I'm a big believer in the power of planning. I am a maker of lists, worshipper of the Dayrunner, setter of short-, mid-, and long-term goals. You get the idea. And one area in which planning is guaranteed to give you great results is in vegetable gardening.

For years, I've been drawing out my vegetable gardens on graph paper to plan where and how much of everything to plant. That's one way to do it. There are also several pieces of software you can purchase for planning a vegetable garden, but I'm cheap--that's probably one of the last things I'd spend my money on. However, I found a very good free online vegetable garden planner at the Gardener's Supply Company website. The site offers several pre-designed garden plans, including a design for a salad garden and (perfect for the busy gardener) a "plant it and forget it" garden, or you can design your own garden by simply dragging and dropping different vegetables onto the plan. It will show you how many to plant in a given area. One drawback is that the designs are all based on a 3 by 6 foot garden bed, but it is still a good tool if, for nothing else, to see how many vegetables to plant. The plans all seem to be based on the Square Foot Gardening method, which is actually one of my favorite ways to plan a garden. It's a fun little tool to play with, and it makes it easy to efficiently plan a garden bed.

Comments

March 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(1) Jim says:

Some of you may also be interested in the Fantastic Farm & Garden Calculator http://www.landshareco.org/ for more serious garden or farm planning. It isn’t a drag & drop layout program, but offers a lot that some of the other programs don’t. It can be used for Biointensive methods, Square Foot, or traditional. It also has three skill levels, garden or farm versions, the ability to enter how many people you want to feed and how much you want to feed each person per week. Plus it has succession planting and intercropping. We used it to plan our micro-farm and CSA and it worked great. I also use it for my 10′x10′ home garden.

August 31, 2010 at 3:19 am
(2) Jeremy says:

For garden planning software that is more flexible than the Gardener’s Supply one and as simple as ‘drag & drop’ the GrowVeg.com Garden Planner is worth looking at. It understands plants, shows spacing, helps with succession planting and crop rotation and even sends you email reminders of when to plant everything based on your zip code or postal code and what is in your plans for the year. It is not limited to Square Foot Gardening (although it does work with SFG) but can also organize traditional row gardening, single plants, blocks of plants or any other layout. It’s free for 30 days use, after which there is a subscription cost if you wish to continue using it [Disclaimer: I work for GrowVeg.com but I'm also a gardener who uses it to plan my own vegetable garden]

September 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(3) Mariah says:

Another choice is http://www.ezgarden.com which automates ALL of the planning of a vegetable garden; all you need to do is enter your zip code, choose your vegetables, and tell it about your garden beds (if you have any), and it tells you exactly where, when, and how to plant and maintain each seed. It uses crop rotation, succession planting, companion planting relationships to ensure a successful garden even for a novice gardener. There is a free trial, and no payment information is collected until that trial expires.

(disclaimer: I work for EZGarden.com but I’m also a gardener who uses it to plan my own vegetable garden.)

April 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm
(4) Drew says:

Don’t bother with EZGarden. they’re not accepting new users.

October 16, 2012 at 7:13 am
(5) organicgardening says:

The ones mentioned by other commenters are free trials. The one I mentioned in the post itself is free.

March 5, 2013 at 5:44 am
(6) lee hale says:

I have been training myself to be a gardener. Thanks for providing good information. NFA Trust Austin

March 29, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(7) LIL says:

Thank you very much. This helped my planning a lot.

February 12, 2014 at 6:07 am
(8) karen says:

When I began my initial foray into the world of I was a weekend gardener with limited time and no garden education. <a href=”http://karenpatrickworld.tumblr.com/post/73177726496/how-to-handle-objections-to-debt-discharge/”>bankruptcy discharge</a>

February 18, 2014 at 5:30 am
(9) visit us says:

I visited many web sites however the audio quality for audio songs present at this web page is genuinely marvelous.

February 25, 2014 at 5:39 pm
(10) Superior Restoration Carlsbad says:

If you plan to have your own home, it is important that you also include routine maintenance in
your list of priorities. It is essential to address any water
problem in 24-48 hours. If you hire a company that handles both processes from the start, they are likely to be able to discover
that mold is going to be a problem and take care of it before it becomes a health issue.